Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™
What It Takes To Be An Authentic Leader
When London Business School Professors Goffee and Jones first posed this question to top business leaders they were often met with silence. Now, after a best selling book and infamous Harvard Business Review article their years of research have been developed into a professional learning experience available through The Human Enterprise. This breakthrough development experience is designed to help managers at all levels answer this challenging question with authenticity, conviction and confidence. Enquire Now >>
This is not a typical skills-based leadership program
In fact, you don’t even need to replace your existing leadership development programmes. It's more of a "turbo-booster" to your existing initiatives. Besides, your leaders are probably full to the brim with models, methods, techniques and role models. They know what ‘good’ leadership is supposed to look like but are they:
“Exciting Their People to Exceptional Performance”
Leadership is not a one way street
Most programmes focus on what leaders do TO others (their followers). Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™ is different. It focuses on how your leaders can meet the critical needs of their followers. It’s about developing what your leaders do WITH followers – the relationship.
Successful leaders modify their behaviour to respond to the needs of their followers and the circumstances they encounter – while simultaneously remaining true to who they are.
So What Do Followers Really Want?
In their research Goffe and Jones discovered that if you really want your leaders to be firing on all cylinders they need to create a "C.A.S.E." for their followers:
Community: Followers long for a sense of belonging, to feel part of something bigger. Leaders must help them connect to others (not just to the leaders themselves) as well as to the overarching purpose of the organisation.
Authenticity: Followers choose to be led by humans not titles or credentials. Leaders must be able to identify and deploy their personal differences, foibles, and strengths to inspire employees to apply their energy and talents.
Significance: Followers want to believe their efforts matter. Leaders need to recognise contributions in a meaningful way, with highly personalised feedback.
Excitement: Followers need a spark to trigger their exceptional performance. Leaders who articulate their own passion, values, and vision provide the energy and enthusiasm employees hunger for.
Watch Professors Goffee and Jones, co-creators of Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™, take you through the CASE framework:
Outcomes For Your Organisation
This workshop helps your leaders develop a laser-focused CASE for their followers. When this happens you can expect:
- Leaders who set out to truly engage their followers and excite them to exceptional performance. Without followers your leaders are just going on a good walk. Uniting the collective effort of followers can’t be done by the CEO alone. It rests in the ability of leaders all over your organisation to craft meaningful/inspiring relationships with their followers. This programme reaffirms to your leaders that the power to do this rests in their hands.
- Leaders who deploy their personal values, strengths and weaknesses to maximise their effectiveness. People don’t follow titles they follow other people. Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™ provides your organisation with authentic leaders who are able to use their personal, as opposed to positional, power to lead without title.
- Leaders who size up the situation and adapt their behaviour to suit it. Your leaders don’t operate in a bubble. The complexities of today’s business world require leaders who can adapt seamlessly to suit different situations, generations and cultures. The unique approach of this programme shows your leaders that one leadership ‘skill’ is not going to fit all situations.
- Leaders who truly develop community and extend their influence way beyond their own teams. This programme gets your leaders to start thinking BIG and giving their people a vision that lifts their imagination and effort beyond the daily grind. Not only this, they'll begin to build the leadership talent around them and truly leave a legacy to be proud of.
And it's a process your people will buy into
Leaders are tired of trying to be like the heroes and heroines of leadership and management. What works for one leader will not necessarily work for another. And why should it? Not everyone is Richard Branson, Gerry Harvey or a carbon copy of the MD.
The good news with Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU? is that your leaders are encouraged to be more of themselves – with skill. Ah. What a relief!
After all, if your leaders are not tapping into their authentic best then they will fail. And if they fail, your organisation fails too. People don’t follow titles they follow human beings. People who are real and authentic. In our post GFC world we’re yearning for some leaders with substance.
Watch Gareth Jones take you through the importance of authentic leadership for your people and your organisation:
Here are 5 reasons your leaders will LOVE this programme:
- They’ll discover exactly what their followers need (CASE) and whether they are fulfilling these needs. No more guess work, no more reading between the lines. Through a unique pre-workshop feedback process they’ll know exactly where they stand and where they need to further excite their followers to exceptional performance.
- They’ll get to really look at their own personal values and how they can best align these to their role as a leader. How often to do we get to think about what we value and how we can meet our needs through our job? Well, this is their chance to do just that and get so much more engaged and enthused with their role as a leader.
- They’ll get totally comfortable in their own 'leadership skin'. This process will show them that they don’t have to be like someone else to be a great leader – just more of themselves. That’s what their people want and it sure is music to most participants’ ears.
- They’ll develop their own CASE for their followers. Imagine knowing exactly how to adapt your leadership style to suit the needs of followers and witness their excitement and performance grow leaps and bounds before your eyes. Participants emerge from this programme with a game plan to get the best from their people.
- They’ll start developing a network of fellow 'leadership peers' who share a common language. No one makes it one their own. Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™ gives your leaders the means and skills to start partnering with leaders who face similar challenges and hurdles.
Ok So What’s the Process?
You may not be able to send all of your leaders to the London Business School (recently named the number one global business school in Financial Times’ “Global MBA Rankings for 2010) to hear Professors Goffee and Jones, but their research and teachings can come to you. Global consulting firm BlessingWhite has worked closely with the pair to dovetail their research on authentic leadership into a relevant, engaging and effective executive learning experience.
Throughout Why Should Anyone Be Led by You? your leaders work on their own strategic business challenges. At the end of the working session they will have a detailed strategy for “being themselves -- more -- with skill” to excite exceptional performance of their teams and colleagues. Since they will have practiced and fine-tuned the application of that strategy to their business challenges, the impact on the job is immediate.
There are 3 key phases that ensure this leadership development experience is more than a 'one hit wonder' for your organisation:
||Online Pre Work – Leaders self evaluate and get feedback from their followers on their leadership style, key challenges and ability to make a CASE for others. This ensures that the entire experience is so much more personalised and relevant for each individual.|
||Working Session – Over 2 intensive days your leaders are guided by a facilitator to examine their CASE, practice the implementation of authentic leadership and utilise their fellow participants to formulate solutions to their most pressing leadership challenges|
||Sustained learning – You want your leaders to continue getting benefit from this experience well after the workshop. That’s why we’ve built in a full follow up programme which includes:
How will your leaders respond when they are asked the question Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU? Will they provide an answer that excites your people (their followers) to exceptional performance?
Call us now on +61 (0)2 9905 5535 to arrange an obligation free briefing with one of our consultants to discuss your leadership development challenges and see if Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™ is the right solution for your leadership talent.
To have one of our qualified Why Should Anyone be Led by YOU?™ facilitators contact you about running this experience in your organisation simply complete the form below:
Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™ is a development experience designed to help your leaders inspire and engage their followers to exceptional performance while simultaneously remaining true (authentic) to who they are.
Ideal For: Mid to Senior level managers; "Top Talent" programmes; as a stand alone intervention.
Workshop Duration: 2 day workshop with online feedback (pre-workshop)
Participant Numbers: Between 5 and 30
What Others Say
We have some fantastic Managers who have deep functional expertise, strong drive for results and demonstrate an accountability for themselves and their teams. But what if they decided to play a greater role. What if they could take an accountability for their followers including peers, their boss and the needs of the broader organisation.
In April 2010, we conducted the two-day course Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU? and the verbatim feedback from the participants spoke to the power of the course. But for me, the impact has been in the behaviour in the subsequent two-months - greater ownership of the broader business, improved listening, real authenticity and a step-change in peer feedback/coaching. I congratulate The Human Enterprise on the course and the legacy impact they have created.
Peter West, General Manager, Mars Snackfood Australia New Zealand
10 Reasons To Choose Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?™
- You feel like you have too many managers and not enough leaders
- Your managers need to drive change, not react to it
- You need to accelerate development of high-potential leaders
- Your diverse cadre of leaders needs a flexible leadership approach, not a lock-step formula
- You want to create a high-performance culture and common leadership language
- You want to equip smart, competent leaders to inspire workforce commitment and action
- You want to establish a solid leadership pipeline
- Training in leadership skills has not delivered the results you need
- You can’t wait for leaders to make the bridge between their learning experience and their work
- Your complex business and multi-generational workforce demand more than cookie-cutter leaders
The C.A.S.E. Framework
A practical way for leaders to understand the needs of their followers (community, authenticity, significance and excitement) and re-evaluate their approach to leadership
Be Yourself-More-With Skill
Participants practice the four keys to authentic leadership:
- Become a "Situational Sensor"
- Know and Show Yourself Enough
- Get Close but Keep Your Distance
- Communicate with Care
What the Experts Say
"The main body of leadership literature focuses on the characteristics of leaders. This gives it a strong psychological bias. It sees leadership qualities as inherent to the individual. The underlying assumption is that leadership is something we do to other people. But in our view, leadership should be seen as something we do with other people. Leadership must always be viewed as a relationship between the leader and the led. …There are no universal leadership characteristics. What works for one leader will not work for another.”
– Rob Goffee & Gareth Jones
Why Should Anyone Be Led by You?
'Everyone Leads' Newsletter
If you want practical leadership advice delivered straight to you in-box then 'Everyone Leads' is for you. This monthly e-newsletter is packed with the latest leadership skills, strategies and news and is sure to help you become an even more authentic leader in both your professional and personal life.
Subscription is absolutely free! Read more about the benefits of subscribing to 'Everyone Leads' or leave your details below to subscribe right away.
What Participants Say
"When I compare my answer to "Why Should Anyone Be Led By YOU?" before the course and then after I smile at how naive I was! The learning is so important, relevant and immediately applicable."
"It is always great to have a mirror to view oneself in and the CASE profile definitely provided that mirror, along with the candid feedback from my table colleagues."
"The whole program challenged the way I have been leading, it helped affirm my values and I can tap into them to deal with the work challenges I face."
"This was great because it was focused on improving ourselves rather than adapting to defined views of leadership."
"The best thing for me was examining my own value system and how it relates to leadership. Also, interactions with colleagues whom I would not otherwise have met, and seeing common issues play out across different business units and contexts was so valuable."
"The program provided a model for approaching leadership. The model is easy to understand, implement and exercise. The CASE model is by far the greatest value to me."
"The practicality of the preparation just heightened the impact of learning's during the session."
"If you think you know leadership & haven't attended this, prepare yourself for failure."
"I loved the idea of taking an actual business challenge and using that as a tool to demonstrate leadership skills. It was easier to take learning's from something real and the feedback from the consultancy groups really added a lot of value."
"This was the first leadership course I attended that used a live project in the learning process which was great!"
"I am emotionally & mentally exhausted, in a good way, now I am confident I will be successful with my business challenge, and it's a biggie!"